So I am officially twenty eight years old.
I’m looking back on the last almost three decades (the word almost is key there), and I think of all of the things I have been through. The good and the bad.
It’s far too easy to list all of the bad things so I am going to list 28 life lessons I’ve learned or things that I am grateful for:
1) I am alive. Can’t take that for granted
2) I am happily married despite my ASD. Somewhat of a miracle to me at times that she sticks around 💜💫
3) I do have friends. Not many but it’s quality not quantity that counts
4) I am grateful for my family
5) I am grateful that God is in control
6) I am grateful that they didn’t find invasive cancer (Precancer gone!)
7) I have found I never really needed my appendix or gallbladder anyway
8) I now know that putting people on pedestals only ruins friendships and lowers my self esteem
9) My ASD diagnosis does not define me, it’s a disability that constantly challenges me to try harder to find coping skills
10) I am grateful for my online support system. I can never say that enough.
11) I have learned I cannot change who I am for anyone, but I can improve myself, despite anyone’s theory that I cannot
12) I am grateful that I have finally figured out what “home” is. No need for ruby slippers although I would love a pair!
13) I am grateful for my family whether chosen or blood, this really should be number 2 but it’s kind of a given
14) I am grateful that I got to see my dad last year for the first time in a decade and the second time ever in my lifetime
15) I have learned that true friends don’t ask you to change to make it easier on them
16) I am grateful for my cats despite how destructive they are. 💜
17) I have learned that no one judges me harder than myself.
18) I have learned that hard times do not ever last forever
19) I am grateful for my home and heat, we’ve run out of oil enough times to be grateful for hot showers
20) I have learned that snow and trees are not what Christmas is about
21) I am grateful for this time to work on my next children’s book a The Quiet Bear while I look for work
22) I have learned that things are not always black and white and people are not always worthy of my trust
23) I have learned that letting go is so hard but once you do, it feels amazing 24) I am grateful for Broadway music, it literally can change my mood in minutes
25) I have learned that life isn’t about me, it’s about finding a way to serve others
26) I have learned that even though I have Aspergers, it doesn’t mean I can’t go to college. Yay Fall 2014!
27) I am grateful that I am only twenty eight because my fingers are starting to cramp
28) Last but not least, I am grateful for you, whoever you are, wherever you are for taking the time to read my stories and poetry.
Here’s to another year to grow.